The media, online or offline, has never been a safe space for expression. When it comes to female journalists, the world is toxic and sexist in more ways than one. Recently, the former Prime Minister of Pakistan and current President of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) made harsh remarks against female journalists, specifically targeting Gharidah Farooqi for being themselves responsible for their harassment during gatherings in the field.
Popular journalist Gharidah Farooqi has been harassed on and off social media, as well as at PTI Chairman Imran Khan’s rallies in Pakistan and was the direct target of the former prime minister, who blamed her for s get into trouble.
Suggested Reading: Bound To Be Harassed: Imran Khan Slammed For Disparaging Comment About Journalist
Who is Gharidah Farooqi?
- Based in Lahore, Gharidah Farooqi is a popular Pakistani journalist and TV presenter. She is currently a senior anchor at Express News.
- Farooqi previously worked with several TV channels including ATV (Pakistan), Dunya TV, Geo News, PTV Home and Samaa TV.
- The journalist actively hosts the current affairs TV show titled G for Gharidah on News One, where she interviews high-profile personalities from across the country and discusses current issues in more detail. His show gained immense popularity after interviewing Justice Minister Rana Sanaullah Khan and politician Maryam Nawaz, daughter of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- Farooqi had previously come under the radar in 2017 for allegedly promoting child labor after police rescued a 15-year-old girl from her Lahore home after the minor’s father filed a complaint against Farooqi.
- She was accused of keeping the girl captive in her home against her parents’ wishes. While Farooqi denied the allegations, she reached an out-of-court settlement with the girl’s parents.
- Farooqi has been very active on social media and has spoken out against the constant harassment of female journalists on social media and during field trips to political rallies. She spoke with other journalists on Twitter since the president of the PTI recently made remarks against her.
- The PTI chairman made the remarks about Farooqi after his case was raised at the National Press Club in Islamabad. Journalist Anwar Raza quoted the former prime minister as saying: “Gharidah grabs the mic and always pushes his way through a space full of men, which makes him comparable to aa bail mujhe maar situation. What can I do in such a situation?
- While Khan said he will ensure special instructions are provided at his rallies for the protection of female journalists, he is unsure how to handle a situation where Farooqi invades male-dominated spaces and gets harassed.