CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico – A journalist was shot dead Wednesday in northeastern Mexico as he left his home with his 23-year-old daughter, who was seriously injured, state prosecutors and the newspaper said. employed.
Antonio de la Cruz, 47, was a reporter for local newspaper Expreso for nearly three decades. His death brings to 12 the number of journalists killed this year in the country, the deadliest for the Mexican press.
De la Cruz was shot at the door of his home in Ciudad Victoria, capital of Tamaulipas state on the US border. The region is mired in violence linked to organized crime.
Expreso covers all kinds of city news, including security issues. De la Cruz spoke about rural and social topics such as water shortages.
He also covered the political party Movimiento Ciudadano and its local deputy, Gustavo Cardenas Gutiérrez, which condemned the murder.
De la Cruz was “very aware of the reality of Tamaulipas, very courageous”, said Miguel Domínguez, director of the newspaper, in an interview with Milenio Televisión.
“He never expressed any concern to us,” Domínguez said.
Expreso has been targeted over the years. In 2012, one of the worst years of drug cartel violence, a car bomb exploded outside the newspaper building. In 2018, a cooler with a human head inside was left at the newspaper, with a warning not to report on the violence in the city.
The governor of Tamaulipas, Francisco García Cabeza de Vaca, promised Wednesday an investigation into the murder so that “this cowardly crime does not go unpunished”.
The prosecution said that the unit specializing in the investigation of crimes against freedom of expression had been informed. The Federal Prosecutor’s Office has announced the opening of an investigation.